Decendents of Daniel Ivy Dupree
Jean Louis Dupuis (1550-1589)
Jean Louis Dupuis is as far back in history as we can go. He was born 1550 in France. He was killed in the Battle of Tous in 1589. He was a Captain in the army of King Henry III of France. In private life, he was an architect. Dupuis was also a Huguenot - a group of Protestants who became the center of political and religious quarrels in France in the 1500's and 1600's. They believed the teachings of John Calvin and were members of the Reformed Church. The French Roman Catholics gave them the name Huguenots. Most of France was Catholic and Henry III decided in 1598 to issue the Edict of Nantes giving the Huguenots freedom of worship in about 75 towns and cities in France and gave them complete political freedom.
After this law was repealed, Jean Louis Dupre Jr. (son of Jean Louis Dupuis) fled France with his family changing the spelling of his name to prevent reprisals of his Catholic relatives in France. At that time Catholics would gang up and murder the protestants. Then, when the political view would swing the other way - the protestants would murder the Catholics. Thousands of Huguenots fled France at this time.
The spelling "Dupre" lasted six generations when John Dupree Jr. added the extra "e" to his name. Through these generations "Jean" turned into "John".
See Dupree Coat of Arms
Duprees in America
The first DuPre to America was Samuel Bayley DuPre (No. 16 on Pedigree chart No. 2). He was a direct generation for the original Compiler (Emily Virginia Dupree Joyner). After Samuel Bayley DuPre was transported to America in 1699 by Captain Whitley, his brothers came. Second to America was John James DuPre (1692-1761) who was born in Ireland and married Ann Haley. Third was Thomas Allen DuPre who was born in 1690 in Ireland and married Amelia Fleming. Fourth was Henry Louis DuPre (1705-1761) who was also born in Ireland and married Mary Catherine. The four brothers' parents were Jean Louis DuPre IV and his wife Elizabeth.
Samuel Bayley was a merchant and planter of Craven County, South Carolina. He lived in Henrico County, Virginia, Amelia County Virginia, and moved to Craven County S.C. in 1716 going into business with his uncle, Josias DuPre.
Samuel Bayley Dupre had 6 sons and 3 daughters. Our direct line is the son, John Louis DuPre who married Lucy Little and lived from 1710 to 1788.
In December of 1967, a Lewis Dupree homestead was discovered in Greensville County, VA. It could either have been the home of John Louis (Lewis) - our direct line or John Louis's brother whose name was Lewis James. John Louis also had a son named Lewis Dupree (not our direct line) who lived from 1734 to 1787. I tend to believe it was John Louis DuPree's (Samuel's son) home as records from his will showed him in Greensville County, Virginia at his death.
The old Dupree homestead is now (1967) known as the Gaskin Place. It is located 4 miles west of Haley's Bridge on State Road No. 638, near Dupree Bridge and sits 1/4 mile off the road. Tenants have occupied the house for years, and it is now falling down. Inside one can see where the plaster has fallen off and the hand hewn beams put together with wooden pegs. No doubt this two story structure was built with slave labor. The woodwork on the mantles, stair rails, Noel posts, etc. show up beautifully in the house (as of 1967).
Rev. John Dupree
Reverend John Dupree was ordained to preach the gospel of our Lord in 1842, at Big Sandy Missionary Baptist Church, Wilkinson County, Georgia. He was born the 26th of March 1806 and preached for 50 years. He died May 16, 1898. From Thigpen Tribe we learn where he was ordained and that in 1862 he moved to Louisiana. Also from this we learn that in 1881 he moved back to Georgia where he died and was buried.
From the Federal Census 1880 in Red River Parish we learn where he and his wife, Mary Ann were living and also that his trade was listed as Doctor of Divinity.
History of Louisiana Baptist tells of a meeting of Baptists on September 24, 1864, and among the new ministers who had come into this region may be noted, John Dupree. Red River Parish Association, La. stated the churches represented by John Dupree were Pleasant Grove and Mt. Carmel.
A report by the churches in 1867 noted that Pleasant Grove and Liberty Churches were under the care of Elder John Dupree - they were called Elder in those days. Under same report Bethel Church was under his care and had a total of 15 members.
In 1871, Elder John Dupree constituted a church near Campto with 7 members, baptized four. He had also baptized about 24 people near Buckhorn. The church near Campto united with Bisteneau Church. Brother John Dupree -in 1871- supplied about 12 churches and as many stations with regular preaching, where there would have been none but for his labors.
From all reports, John Dupree baptized from 40 to 50 people a year. It was estimated that he traveled from two to three thousand miles each year. The record also states that he preached from two to three hundred sermons each year. In 1869 the State Board of the Louisiana Convention secured the services of the Rev. John Dupree to labor as a missionary, east of Red River.
Brother Dupree was born near Macon, Georgia in 1806. He married Mary Ann Taylor in early manhood. To this union were born nine children: 3 sons, Daniel Ivy, Stewart and Newton, and 6 daughters: Missouri, Sally, Nancy, Polly, Martha, and Ann.
Brother Dupree was ordained as a Baptist Minister in 1841 and did faithful service in his native state until 1862, when he came with his family to Louisiana, and settled in very near wild country, about eight miles north east of the present town of Coushatta. He probably purchased as much as a section of land there for $.50 an acre in that part of the present Parish of Red River. The greater portion of the land is still owned by his descendents (as of 2001).
After moving to Louisiana he began at once, as a preacher, to administer to the spiritual needs of the few people in that section of the county. He was instrumental in organizing Liberty church soon after coming to the state, and was its pastor for several years.
Soon after coming to the state he was appointed as a missionary, with his field of service in the Black Lake, Grand Bayou, and Lake Bisteneau territory. The results of his work in this section is the organization of Ebinezar Church, north of the present town of Ashland, though it is in the lower edge of Bienville Parish, then on West to what is now known as the Methvin Community, there organizing Bethel Church in Red River Parish then on northwest to the Spring Hill Community and organized a church there, and was its pastor for a period of years, then on northeast into Webster Parish where he organized Bisteneau church, about three miles west of the present town of Heflin. Then crossing Lake Bisteneau at Port Boliver he went up on the west side of the Gum Springs Community and organized Gum Springs Church about a mile and a half south of the present village of McIntyre Church, now extinct. This church was in the reservation of what is now (1968) the Louisiana Ordinance plant. Due to the changes taking place during the reconstruction period after the civil, the Gum Spring church became disorganized, and the surviving members moved out on to -what is as of 1968- Highway 80, four miles west of the city of Minden and took the name Antioch. Brother Dupree was a leader in this organization. Brother Dupree's period of service was long and faithful.
He would ride from two to three thousand miles on horseback, preaching two to three hundred sermons each year. Through a part of this period he served as many as twelve churches, and preaching stations. His work was of a permanent nature, as proven by the fact that all of these churches are still functioning except Gum Springs, which became extinct shortly after the Civil War.
Brother Dupree's period of service closed in Louisiana about 1881. His wife died and he went back to Georgia. Then he married a second time to a widow named Mrs. Lila Thomas. She already had a son named Henry L. Thomas and a grandson named Guy Thomas of Milan, Georgia. Guy and Henry both were still living in March of 1961. Guy Thomas had written to Dr. Daniel Edward Dupree and told him that his step-grandpa Dupree was buried near the line of Laurens and Wilkerson counties, Georgia, which was about 72 miles from Milan, Georgia. Guy's father, Henry was 94 years old in 1961.
John Dupree came back to Louisiana in 1893 and visited several of the churches which he had organized carrying a bed roll with him, and lying on a pallet on the platform till the preliminaries were over to conserve his strength. Then he would rise and preach with fervor for his Master and Lord. He died in 1894 at the age of 88, near Macon, Georgia.
It is to such men as he that we are indebted today for our great Baptist organization or the South.
See A History of the Baptists of Louisiana by Rev. William E. Paxton, 1881. Pages 243, 322, 331, 597.
The information in the above sketch was furnished from this book, and by Mrs. Valerie Dupree Sledge, a great-granddaughter of Rev. John Dupree, and by C.C. Walker.
The Rev. John Dupree was great grandfather to Ivy Virginia Dupree Pouncey and a great-great grandfather to her two daughters.
John Dupree According to a
History of the Baptist Denomination in Georgia
Slightly Revised for Clarity
With Biographical Compendium and Portrait Gallery of Baptist Ministers and other Georgia Ministers and Baptists. Compiled for the Christian Index. Atlanta, Georgia: Jas P. Harrison & Co., Printers and Publishers, 1881. Page 609---Appendix---John Dupree
Rev. John Dupree was born in Burke County, Georgia, March 26th, 1806. His grandfather, John Dupree, moved from Virginia, in the prime of life, and settled in Jefferson County, Georgia. The Rev. John Dupree's father, Thomas Dupree, was born in Virginia and his mother - whose maiden name was Cynthia McDonald- came to Georgia with her father, Randal McDonald.
He married Mary Ann Taylor, the daughter f John Taylor, of Laurens County, Georgia on Jan. 3rd, 1828. They raised to the years of maturity three sons and six daughters.
In his early life he was a leader in the amusements and pastimes of the day. In the fall of 1828, he felt his condition as a sinner, and in May of 1829, he obtained pardon for his sins. In July of 1832, he united with the Baptist church at Poplar Springs, Laurens County, Georgia. His wife joined the same church in the fall of the year. He felt it to be his duty to preach soon after uniting with the church, but did not begin till September 1841. He was ordained at Big Sandy, Wilkinson County, Georgia. In 1842, when he was ordained, he became pastor there at Big Sandy Church and was pastor for eighteen years consecutively, till he moved to Louisiana in the latter part of 1860. The scene of his labors in Georgia extends from Baldwin County to Waresboro, in Ware County. He organized and built up many churches in Georgia and baptized hundreds of converts who were steadfast in the faith.
After 1860, he labored in Louisiana and Texas; chiefly the former. When he moved to Louisiana there was a space east of Red River of more than one hundred miles in which there was not a single Baptist church. He organized sixteen churches in the destitute section. For two years and six months he labored as a missionary under the Baptist State Convention of La. and for two years and six months under the patronage of the Red River Association. A great portion of his labor at that time was missionary work, with no adequate support. He cannot remain idle as long as he is able to preach. He was always welcomed as a faithful, zealous servant of the Lord.
He thrice visited Georgia since his removal. During the last visit which extended from the latter part of 1880 to April 1881, he was constantly engaged in preaching and visiting the sick, often preaching twice a day in different places. He said the only thing that troubles him is that he cannot love Jesus as much as he desires to. He was highly esteemed by the church and community wherever he was known. He gave the last forty years of his life to the cause of Christ, and now enjoys the "Crown of righteousness which the Lord, the righteous Judge, shall give to all them that love His appearing."
The Orr Family
Elizabeth Long Collins Daniels Orr was born in 1816. Her parents were Henry Long and Blanche Holcombe. Henry Long (No. 26 on Pedigree Chart No. 1) was born in Charleston, South Carolina, date unknown. He moved to Jones County, Georgia, and owned slaves. Henry Long and his family were quite well-to-do. Either he or his wife is believed to have been a descendant of the French Huguenots who settled there in the 16th and 17th centuries. Elizabeth's brothers and sisters were: David, James, William, Phillip, John, Tabetha, Martha and the baby was Elizabeth herself.
Elizabeth first married George Washington Collins and they had 5 children. She had black hair, black piercing eyes, and black curly hair. Although physically small, she was very domineering and easily angered. When she married Collins, her parents disowned her. Their chief objection was that she had married beneath herself.
George and Elizabeth settled on a 40 or 80 acre tract of land about one mile from Brundidge, Alabama, in Pike County. From the records in the court house in Troy, Alabama, the county seat, George W. Collins acquired the land in the 1830's from Homesteading. Sometime before 1848 Collins died.
On October 29, 1848, the court house records in Troy, Alabama show that she married Issaic B. Daniel, who had been married before and had a son named Philip. Daniel served for some time in the Indian Wars in Florida. On one occasion he was given forty acres of land by the U.S. Government to compensate for his services. This land grant certificate is in the hands now (1967) of Guss Orr. The date of Daniel's death is not known, but on February 7, 1852, Charles Graves (Justice of the Peace), William Orr, E.P. Graves, and Samuel Smith met at the residence of the Daniels for the purpose of appraising the person estate of the late Daniel, which they declared to be as follows: 15 bushels corn ($11.25), 4000 lbs. seed cotton ($60), 1 promissory note on Richard Daniel ($5), four measures and 2 jugs ($1), 1 "sythe" ($1.50) - a total of $78.75. (See page 68, Record, Appraisement, Book C, 1851-1856, Court House, Troy, Alabama.)
Elizabeth Long Collins Daniel did not remain a widow very long. With 5 Collins children, and 1 Daniel daughter, she married William Orr on October 24, 1852. William was 61 years of age and Elizabeth was 36. (Marriage Record 1851-1853, Troy, Ala. Court House.)
William Orr left his wife Elizabeth some time about 1858. Elizabeth decided to leave Alabama. From information on file in the Troy, Alabama Courthouse, Elizabeth sold the properties in Alabama for $600 (See Record F, p. 304, Acts of Deeds, etc.) She gave this money or most of it to her second son, Philip Collins who came to Louisiana before the Civil War, looking for a place to settle. With this money, he obtained title to a large tract of land in Red River Parish, the rights to the land etc. having been cleared in Natchitoches, Louisiana. It appears that Red River was at this time a part of Natchitoches Parish.
When Elizabeth received word that Philip had purchased the land in Red River Parish, she and the other children left Brundige (Brundidge), Alabama, traveling by ox cart to Mobile, where they took a boat to New Orleans. On arriving in New Orleans, they took a boat for Coushatta, moving up the Atchafalya to the Red River and thence on to Coushatta which was a stop along the river at that time. The exact year is unknown, but it was sometime after 1858 and before the beginning of the Civil War in 1861. Philip Collins stated that on meeting his mother that he found her with a baby in her arms (James Alonzo).
Elizabeth settled on a farm not far from Clear Springs and the present (1967) Martin High School. Today (1967) it is owned in part by heirs of Lee Rigden and the Gene Kitchen family. Elizabeth occupied a house provided by Phillip Collins. The older Collins children soon married or left, leaving Catherine, Daniel, Samuel Collier Orr, and James Alonzo Orr with their mother. Phillip presumably had married and occupied a separate residence. He built another for his mother and the three remaining children. Philip Collins worked his mother and the three children on the farm. Life was not easy, especially during the Civil War, because Philip -along with another brother or so- was in the war and wounded in it. Samuel and Alonzo grew up as farm laborers for their half-brother, who treated them as such. Samuel Collier Orr was more tolerant of the hardships which they suffered than was his brother Alonzo, whose regard for Philip was akin to hatred. Both received very little education.
Samuel Collier Orr (No. 6 on Pedigree Chart 1) grew to manhood on the Philip Collins farm (rightfully the property of Elizabeth and the other Collins children) and in time married Almedia Fletcher (No. 7 on Pedigree Chart 1). James Alonzo is said to have borrowed money from his half-brother Philip and with it left Red River Parish for Texas. He never repaid this debt - hence with Philip's death in the 1920's, his estate was divided so that James Alonzo or his children were disinherited. There is, of course, another story concerning the omission of James Alonzo's children from sharing in the estate.
Upon the death of Elizabeth Orr, who was buried in Clear Springs Cemetery, her daughter Catherine Daniel went to live with her half-brother Philip. During her stay there, Henrietta (called Nan), Philip's wife, became insane, though not violent. She longed to commit suicide and had to be watched because of this. One night, however, she stole form her bed and drowned herself in a pond near the Collins' home. Catherine Daniel then kept house for Philip and other relatives who came to live there. Some of these were James and Philip Elliott, twin sons of Martha Collins Elliott (a half sister to Catherine). These twin sons, although brilliant and promising young men, became insane, their last days having been spent in the asylum in Pineville. After Philip's death, Catherine lived with Samuel Collier Orr and upon his death, lived with William Home Orr under his roof until shed died in 1943. She is buried beside her mother in Clear Springs Cemetery.
Compiled: December 1967 by Emily Virginia Dupree Joyner from information secured from Guss Orr, son of the above William Homer Orr and great-grandson of William Orr and Elizabeth Long Collins Daniel Orr.
The Fletcher Family
Aaron J. Fletcher and Emily Martin (Nos. 14 and 15 on Pedigree Chart No. 1) were the parents of Almedia Fletcher (No. 7, Pedigree Chart 1) who was born 28 January 1857. Almedia married Samuel Collier Orr (No. 6, Pedigree Chart 1).
The farm where the Aaron J. Fletchers lived is near present-day (1967) Martin High School in Red River Parish. There is a Fletcher Cemetery near the site of the old family home. In 1967 the property and cemetery is owned by Louis Bamburg.
It has been said that one of the young boys of Aaron and Emily's died from a rattlesnake bite, and is buried there in the there in the family plot.
An interesting story about the relationship of Almedia and her brother Thomas J. Fletcher has been handed down. It is well known that the two did not speak to each other. In fact, Thomas and his wife had a daughter, Mary Howard Fletcher who died at the age of 6 years old in 1898, and Almedia attended the funeral and did not speak to her brother. According to Almedia, Thomas wanted to take charge of all the property left to them by their parents. It seems that they had inherited large tracts of land. (In reality, much of the land in the name Samuel Collier Orr in Red River Parish had been inherited by Almedia.) She related that Thomas came to her home with a load of dressed hogs. This was to be her portion of the inheritance, but he refused the hogs and legally claimed her rights. For his action, Thomas would never speak to her again. According to Mittie and Daisy (daughters of Thomas), he then took the hogs to his sister as a gift; and when she refused them, he ws very hurt by her action and could never forgive her. The children of Thomas were very bitter about the relationship of Almedia and their father.
When Aaron Fletcher passed away, his wife Emily Martin remarried Henry P. Elliot. Emily's son Andrew Fletcher ambushed his step-father, Henry Elliott, and because of this murder, left Red River Parish and is believed to have gone to Mexico.
Compiled: 1967 by Emily Virginia Dupree Joyner from information from Guss Orr
See Fletcher Cemetery Diagram